FCC inquiry on Artificial Intelligence and robocalls
The FCC released a draft Notice of Inquiry (NOI) on the implications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on robocalls. This article reviews the questions to be discussed.
The Commission is looking for feedback on the following:
- How should Artificial Intelligence be defined for the purposes of the Commission’s TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act) responsibilities?
- AI benefits and risks:
- Can AI protect consumers from robocalls?
- Can bad actors use AI to avoid detection of their robocalls?
- Does the TCPA give the Commission legal authority to regulate current and future AI technologies? (The NOI asks a range of questions relating various AI technologies to authority given it by the TCPA.)
- How would consumers know that a caller is an AI-generated voice? Can/should the Commission require callers to make AI disclosure or use digital watermarks?
Comment and reply comment due dates will be set with the Commission’s approval to move forward with this NOI, to be discussed and voted on in their open meeting on November 15, 2023.
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 25 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
TransNexus has a comprehensive suite of robocall mitigation solutions to prevent the origination of unlawful robocalls.Learn more