FCC launches inquiry for non-IP caller ID authentication
The FCC approved and launched its planned inquiry, Reviewing Policies for Caller ID Authentication on Non-IP Networks. Here’s what happened.
- The Commission circulated a draft version of the Notice of Inquiry (NOI) on October 6, 2022.
- A representative of NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association met with Commission staff and filed ex parte notices to suggest improvements to the NOI.
- In its final published version, the NOI incorporated one of the NTCA’s suggestions and made a few other minor edits.
- The deadlines for comments remain unchanged from the initial draft version:
- Comments are due December 12, 2022
- Reply comments are due January 11, 2023
Commissioners were unanimous, 4–0 in favor of launching the inquiry. Here are a few excerpts from their comments:
“We are not just going to wait for this infrastructure to be updated and eligible for STIR/SHAKEN, we are going to look for ways to combat these calls on the oldest portions of our networks.” — Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel
“If there’s another step we can take to further crack down on illegal robocalls, then that is a step that I’m in favor of.” — Commissioner Brendan Carr
“To truly make a dent, we must continue to push providers to implement STIR/SHAKEN. The record that develops from this Notice of Inquiry will help us chart a path forward on mitigating robocalls on legacy, non-Internet Protocol networks. The other benefit of this Notice is that it can help to facilitate the transition to all-IP networks.” — Commissioner Geoffrey Starks
“The scourge of robocalls demands that we either accelerate the full transition to IP-based phone networks or mandate that operators of non-IP phone networks speedily implement technology that provides equivalent guarantees to STIR/SHAKEN.” — Commissioner Nathan Simington
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 20 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Work with your existing network
- Support SIP and TDM
- Affordable, easy to deploy