FCC chairman asks telecom carriers to implement SHAKEN without delay
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Ajit Pai yesterday called on telecom carriers to implement SHAKEN as quickly as possible to protect consumers from caller ID spoofing and unwanted robocalls.
“Combating illegal robocalls is our top consumer priority at the FCC”, said Pai. “That’s why we need call authentication to become a reality—it’s the best way to ensure that consumers can answer their phones with confidence.”
Pai thanked the providers who have begun implementation of STIR/SHAKEN, and he asked those providers that apparently have not made concrete plans to deploy STIR/SHAKEN to do so without delay.
“If it does not appear that this system is on track to get up and running next year, then we will take action to make sure that it does,” said Pai.
STIR/SHAKEN framework to authenticate and verify caller ID
With STIR/SHAKEN, originating service providers authenticate caller ID and sign outbound calls. Terminating service providers verify the signature to ensure that caller ID information has not been tampered with in transit or used in a replay scheme. The process enables terminating service providers to present caller ID that consumers can trust.
TransNexus has published several insights on STIR/SHAKEN to help the community learn how this framework can be used to prevent caller ID spoofing, a tactic used with unwanted robocalls. Further information:
- STIR/SHAKEN overview — a brief introduction
- Understanding STIR/SHAKEN — a more thorough explanation that builds on the overview
- Certificate management for STIR/SHAKEN — comprehensive discussion of certificates, public and private keys used to sign calls, and how to best implement certificate management securely and efficiently
- A news story that aired on NBC Nightly News that briefly explains the caller ID spoofing problem and the STIR/SHAKEN solution.
TransNexus can help with STIR/SHAKEN
TransNexus can help you get ready for STIR/SHAKEN with everything from advisory services to complete production-ready software solutions. Contact us today for more information.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
More on TransNexus.com
November 16, 2018
November 15, 2018
October 10, 2018
September 21, 2018
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Most affordable commercial solutions
- Work with any TDM and/or SIP network
- Include support with all aspects of deployment.