Your guide to everything STIR and SHAKEN
STIR (Secure Telephony Identity Revisited) and SHAKEN (Secure Handling of Asserted information using toKENs) are the frameworks that promise to prevent the completion of illegally spoofed calls.
STIR/SHAKEN uses digital certificates, based on common public key cryptography techniques, to ensure the calling number of a telephone call is secure. Each telephone service provider obtains their digital certificate from a certificate authority who is a trusted authority. The certificate technology enables the called party to verify that the calling number is accurate and has not been spoofed.
STIR/SHAKEN work flow
- A SIP INVITE is received by the originating telephone service provider.
- The originating telephone service provider checks the call source and calling number to determine how to attest for the validity of the calling number.
- Full Attestation. The service provider has authenticated the calling party and attest that they are authorized to the use the calling number. An example of this case is a subscriber registered with the originating telephone service provider’s softswitch.
- Partial Attestation. The service provider has authenticated the call origination but cannot verify the call source is authorized to use the calling number. An example of this use case is a telephone number behind an enterprise PBX.
- Gateway Attestation. The service provider has authenticated from where it received the call but cannot authenticate the call source. An example of this case would be a call received from an international gateway.
- Calling number
- Called number
- Date and time
- Unique originating identifier
For more information on STIR/SHAKEN, see our STIR/SHAKEN software solution overview.
Contact us today to learn more about STIR/SHAKEN.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. Transnexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
More on TransNexus.com
May 30, 2019
May 29, 2019
May 24, 2019
May 15, 2019
May 13, 2019
May 13, 2019
April 30, 2019
April 29, 2019
November 6, 2018
Webinar: Effective STIR/SHAKEN and robocall solutions that work today. June 18, 2019, 2:00 p.m. EDTRegister now