Robocall trends in September 2023
Here’s a quick review of robocall trends through September 2023.
The source data is from YouMail’s Robocall Index, a widely followed measure of robocall activity in the U.S.
Overall robocalls down in September
Figure 1 shows that overall robocalls were down almost 16% in September. The dashed green line shows that the linear trend for robocalls over this date range is declining. This trend line had been increasing slowly across previous months. Overall robocalls in September were the lowest month in 2023.
The bar chart at the bottom of Figure 1 compares robocalls in each month with the same month in 2022. Every month in 2023 has had more robocalls than the same month in 2022, which has been a consistent trend in 2023. However, September 2023 robocalls were only slightly higher than in September 2022.
Scam robocalls up in September
Figure 2 shows that scam robocalls rebounded in September with a 18% increase from August. The dashed green line shows that the linear trend for scam robocalls over this date range is about level. This trend had been downward in previous months. Scam robocalls in September were the highest month in 2023.
The bar chart at the bottom of Figure 2 shows that scam robocalls in September 2023 were about the same level as in September 2022. This follows three months in which scam robocalls were lower than the same months in the previous year.
Behind the numbers
- Robocall statistics have been volatile. Overall robocall monthly changes average 9.6% in 2023, while scam robocall monthly changes average 14.4% this year.
- Trends over the past twelve months have been increasing for overall robocalls and decreasing for scam robocalls. Do the past six months indicate a turning point, or just volatility?
- Our STIR/SHAKEN statistics from September 2023 showed
- Increasing robocall trends among calls with B- and C-level attestation from all call signers,
- Increasing robocall trends among calls with A- and B-level attestation from prolific robocall signers, and
- Increasing robocalls overall.
- These findings are consistent with the increasing scam robocall trends reported by the YouMail Robocall Index but diverge from the overall robocall trends they observed.
- Robocalls have increased during the months of October and November in previous years.
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 20 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
TransNexus has a comprehensive suite of robocall mitigation solutions to prevent the origination of unlawful robocalls.Learn more