Deadlines announced for new robocall mitigation rules
New robocall mitigation and STIR/SHAKEN rules have been published in the Federal Register. This sets the compliance deadline for some of the rules. Here’s a quick review.
Intermediate provider call authentication
The first non-gateway intermediate provider in the call path must authenticate unauthenticated SIP calls it receives directly from an originating provider.
The compliance deadline is December 31, 2023.
All providers must:
- Take reasonable steps to mitigate illegal robocall traffic,
- Block traffic received directly from any provider that does not have a certification in the Robocall Mitigation Database (RMD).
Some providers are already subject to these requirements. The new rules extend these requirements to all providers.
For providers newly covered by these requirements, the compliance deadline is August 21, 2023.
Robocall Mitigation Database filing obligations
All providers must:
- Submit a certification in the RMD regarding their STIR/SHAKEN implementation status along with other identifying information.
- Additional information will be required of all filers. Providers with an existing filing must update it.
- Submit a robocall mitigation plan in the RMD.
These new rules must be reviewed by the Office of Management and Budget per the Paperwork Reduction Act.
The compliance deadline will be the later of:
- 30 days following a notice in the Federal Register announcing OMB approval or,
- Any deadline set by the Wireline Competition Bureau through a Public Notice.
See the complete rule in the Federal Register for more details.
TransNexus will host a webinar, Compliance 101: New Robocall Mitigation Rules on July 11, 2023, to review the rules and help telephone service providers plan their compliance next steps.
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 20 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
TransNexus has a comprehensive suite of robocall mitigation solutions to prevent the origination of unlawful robocalls.Learn more