FCC sends STIR/SHAKEN report to U.S. Congress
The FCC sent a STIR/SHAKEN report to the U.S. Congress. This report describes the Commission’s assessment of the efficacy of the technologies used in STIR/SHAKEN. Here’s a recap.
- STIR/SHAKEN is effective at authenticating caller ID information.
- Some providers may be applying the standards inconsistently or incorrectly.
- This could result in an investigation for noncompliance with the Commission’s rules.
- STIR/SHAKEN has beneficial network effects. For this reason, the Commission has expanded the scope of STIR/SHAKEN implementation requirements and declined to extend the small provider extension beyond June 30, 2023.
- Some commenters urged the Commission to address the non-IP extension.
- The Commission has launched an inquiry into this issue.
This report fulfills a requirement in the TRACED Act that the FCC report on the efficacy of STIR/SHAKEN technology no later than three years after the enactment of the Act.
We think this report is a fair assessment of STIR/SHAKEN so far. The report gives credit to STIR/SHAKEN’s effectiveness when used properly. The report is candid about issues that undermine the effort.
STIR/SHAKEN can realize its full potential when calls are signed at origination by providers who have a direct, authenticated relationship with the caller and the calling number. This authentication information must then arrive intact for the terminating provider to verify and use in call validation treatment.
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 20 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Work with your existing network
- Support SIP and TDM
- Affordable, easy to deploy