How to register with the STI Policy Administrator for SHAKEN
Registering with the STI-PA to authenticate calls with STIR/SHAKEN is a strategic capability that every service provider should control. Some may be tempted to outsource this to another organization, but we encourage you to do it yourself for three simple reasons:
- Your customers want full attestation on their outbound calls. You know your customers and the numbers they use, so you can do that for them. An outsourced provider might not be willing or able to do that.
- This is so important that you should retain control. It would be be expensive and risky to relinquish control over this to someone else.
- Becoming an authorized service provider is easy. If you need help, we are happy to provide free consultation.
A voice service provider in the U.S. that wants to originate calls using STIR/SHAKEN call authentication must first register with the Policy Administrator (STI-PA), be approved, and be able to receive Service Provider Code tokens.
The STI Governance Authority has set the following requirements for voice service providers to be approved by the STI-PA:
- Have a current form 499-A on file with the FCC. Service providers must file this form with the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). You will need to provide a copy of this form during the registration process.
- Have been assigned an Operating Company Number (OCN). VoIP providers can register with NECA for an OCN.
- Have filed a certification in the FCC Robocall Mitigation Database. Note: This policy changed on May 10, 2021.
Register with the PA
Once you have satisfied these three requirements, you can register with the STI-PA. They will assess a fee based upon your annual revenues listed in your 499-A.
The STI-PA will respond with a list of follow up questions. If you are using a TransNexus STIR/SHAKEN solution, be sure to tell the STI-PA, as this will speed up the process for you.
Once your registration has been approved, you will receive login credentials to the STI-PA web portal.
The STI-PA has prepared a guidelines document with further details. If you have any questions, please contact us. We’re happy to help.
TransNexus STIR/SHAKEN solutions
We provide comprehensive STIR/SHAKEN and robocall mitigation solutions in our ClearIP and NexOSS software platforms. We also provide SHAKEN certificates for providers using our software solutions or any other STIR/SHAKEN software.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
STIR/SHAKEN information hub
Whitepapers, videos, and more