CNAM, caller ID name, can be a valuable service that makes subscribers more likely to answer incoming calls. Traditional CNAM, however, has some limitations. There are newer alternatives that promise better benefits. Here’s a quick overview.
Traditional CNAM data is provided by carriers based upon their subscriber data. This is sometimes referred to as authoritative carrier-supplied CNAM data.
This data is collected and made available, for a fee, to terminating service providers. The terminating provider dips the CNAM database for the calling number and presents the caller ID name.
CNAM dip services are offered by a few different providers. Some dip authoritative databases with every request, while others cache the data and refresh it periodically.
- Traditional CNAM provides only 15 characters of information
- Carriers generally require at least 48 hours to update CNAM data changes with authoritative databases
- Not every service uses fresh data on every dip
- It’s controlled by a third party, not the caller
- Carriers generally include CNAM service for landline customers
- Most wireless carriers do not include CNAM in their basic service but may offer it as a value-added service
Enhanced CNAM builds on the CNAM approach. It provides 35 characters for the display name. It still has the other limitations associated with CNAM.
Rich Call Data
Rich Call Data (RCD) is a completely different approach to presenting information about the caller. RCD is:
- Maintained by the caller and their originating service provider
- More accurate and up to date
- Put into the call at origination, rather than fetched at termination
- Built on STIR/SHAKEN call authentication
- Put into the call as part of the authentication process
- Secure and cannot be altered or manipulated
- In addition to caller name, RCD accommodates more information types
- Image or logo
- Call purpose
We think Rich Call Data will be very valuable to enterprise callers. By displaying their name, logo, call reason and such in a brand-compliant way, they can expect to see significant improvements in call answer rates.
We offer CNAM services, and we include Rich Call Data capabilities with our STIR/SHAKEN solutions. All of these capabilities are available on our ClearIP and NexOSS software platforms. Contact us to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Most affordable commercial solutions
- Work with your existing network
- Include support with deployment