TRACED Act advances in the U.S. Senate
There’s been some activity stirring in the U.S. Senate on prevention of spam robocalls, including a potential STIR/SHAKEN mandate. Here’s a recap of recent and upcoming events.
TRACED Act advances
On April 3, 2019, the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved the TRACED Act, S.151, to be reported to the full Senate for consideration.
TRACED Act provisions
The TRACED (Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence) Act is sponsored by Senators John Thune and Ed Markey, along with twelve co-sponsors. This legislation includes the following amendments to the Communications Act of 1934:
- Statutes of limitations for spam robocalling violations are set at 1 year for general violations and 3 years for violations with intent.
- The FCC shall implement regulations to enforce this act within 270 days after it has been enacted.
- The FCC shall require voice service providers to implement the STIR/SHAKEN framework within 18 months after this act has been enacted.
- The act provides safe harbor from liability for voice service providers who inadvertently misidentify the level of trust and block calls based upon reliance on STIR/SHAKEN processing.
Upcoming hearing on FCC Robocall Report
The Senate Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet, has scheduled a hearing, Illegal Robocalls: Calling All to Stop The Scourge, to be held at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 11, 2019.
This hearing will include a discussion of the FCC Robocall Report. Witnesses will include:
- The Honorable Doug Peterson, Attorney General, State of Nebraska
- Mr. Kevin Rupy, Partner, Wiley Rein, Representing US Telecom—The Broadband Association
- Ms. Margot Saunders, Senior Counsel, National Consumer Law Center
Doug Peterson, Kevin Rupy, Margot Saunders
TransNexus STIR/SHAKEN solutions
We have developed comprehensive STIR/SHAKEN functionality within our ClearIP and NexOSS software products. These are ready for ready for deployment in production telecom networks today. Contact us for more information or to arrange a free trial.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Work with your existing network
- Support SIP and TDM
- Affordable, easy to deploy