How to get a Location Routing Number

Getting a Location Routing Number can be complicated. Here are some tips.

Get ready

  • Browse the following websites for an overview of the administrative authorities that control and assign telephone numbers:
  • — North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA)
  • — National Number Pooling Administration (PA)
  • — Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC)
  • Read the Frequently Asked Questions located on the North American Numbering Plan (NANPA) website at for information on central office code related topics such as the NANP Administration System (NAS) and central office code related forms.
  • Read the Frequently Asked Questions located at under Tools, which provide answers to questions about the Pooling Administration System (PAS) and pooling related forms.
  • Read the frequently asked questions located at for information about Local Number Portability, becoming an NPAC user and getting a Service Provider ID (SPID).
  • Review the Industry Numbering Committee (INC) guidelines: ATIS defines the standards and solutions for North American telephone operations. The INC guidelines include:
    • Central Office Code (NXX) Assignment Guidelines (COCAG)
    • Thousands-Block Number (NXX-X) Pooling Administration Guidelines (TBPAG)
    • Location Routing Number Assignment Practices


1. Get an OCN from NECA

In order to request a Central Office (CO) code (NPA-NXX), your company must have an Operating Company Number (OCN). If your company does not have an OCN, contact the National Exchange Carrier Association (NECA) at to request a company code (OCN).

NECA defines a VoIP service provider as IPES (IP Enabled Services). IPES — A Service Provider deploying IP-enabled services, including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services, on a commercial basis to residential and business customers. Company Codes in this category shall be used to identify IP-enabled Service Providers interconnecting to the PSTN and can be used to enable the deployment of any new IP-enabled service, technology, or advanced service. VoIP is transmission of voice (such as ordinary telephone calls) using Internet Protocol.

An IPES must submit the following information to request an OCN.

  1. Legal documentation (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, State Registration, etc) as proof of existence and to reflect the telecommunications service provider’s legal name
  2. Proof of service and customers, e.g., interconnection agreements (or evidence of an interconnection order pursuant to an approved tariff).
  3. Contractual agreements with end-used customers or regulatory administration approval, if applicable. An OCN is requested with the online form: The fee to receive an OCN is currently $425 per code.

2. Become an NPAC User, obtain a SPID

To request a Central Office (CO) code (NPA-NXX), you also need a SPID (Service Provider ID) which is obtained from the Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC). Go to for instructions on how to register with NPAC. Once you have registered with NPAC, your company will be given a SPID.

3. Submit Number Utilization Forecast to NANPA

In order to request a central office code, you will need to have a current Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecast (NRUF) on file with NANPA. See the North American Numbering Plan Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecast Reporting (NRUF) Guidelines document on the ATIS website for more information. Go to for information on how to file an NRUF. You must be a registered NAS (NANP Administration System) user before you may submit a number utilization forecast. Read the NAS User Registration Guide for instructions:

4. Certification and Proof of Facilities Readiness

When requesting an initial central office code, you must provide evidence of certification and proof of facilities readiness as documented in sections 4.2.1 and 4.2.1 of the Central Office Code (NXX) Assignment Guidelines (COCAG) found at In addition, your code request may require state certification. A list showing certification requirements by state can be found at: Certification and Proof of Facilities Readiness is required for the next step.

5. Enter Code Request with National Number Pool Administration

Read the Pooling Administration System (PAS) User Guide for Service Providers and Service Provider Consultants located on the Pooling website at under Documents.

Watch the “How to Request an Initial Central Office Code” training video at: To complete Part 1 of the PAS form, you will need a Common Language Location Identification (CLLI) code for your switch or Point of Interconnection (POI) to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). In addition, you will need to enter the CLLI of the homing tandem serving your POI. If your company is not a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC), you can partner with a CLEC or alternative tandem provider to provide the PSTN POI facilities on your behalf. This is what Vonage did for the “Interconnected VoIP Number Trial” trial ordered by the FCC on June 17, 2013. Enter your code request into the PAS.

6. Enter your Code into the LERG

The LERG, or Local Exchange Routing Guide, is managed by iconectiv. The iconectiv group that manages the LERG is still referred to as Telcordia, the company’s previous name. Once your central office code has been assigned, the code, LRN, CLLI and other details must be entered into the TelcordiaTM Business Routing & Rating Database System (BIRRDS). Your company’s data can only be submitted to BIRRDS by an firm that has been issued an Administrative Operating Company Number (AOCN) by iconectiv. Your company can go through the process to get an AOCN or hire the services of a third party that has an AOCN. You can download a list of AOCNs at (MS Word document).

7. Submit your code (LRN) to NPAC

As a registered NPAC user, enter your LRN into the NPAC Service Management System (SMS).

8. Confirm Code is active in PAS

Within six months after receiving the code, confirm the code has been fully tested and is active by completing Part 4 of the Thousands Block Application Form in PAS. Only the active 1000 thousand blocks should be confirmed so the Pooling Administrator can reassign the unused 1000 blocks.