FTC Voice Cloning Challenge and prizes
The Federal Trade Commission has announced a Voice Cloning Challenge. The competition challenges participants to propose approaches to protect consumers from AI-enabled voice cloning fraud. Top submissions will be eligible for cash prizes. Let’s have a look.
The FTC Voice Cloning Challenge should be of great interest to voice service providers because some proposed solutions might involve the deployment of components in the service provider voice network.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology has been developed that enables voice cloning, which is the artificial simulation of a person’s voice.
Scammers have begun using voice cloning tools to clone the voice of a loved one and call a family member to trick them into providing urgent financial assistance.
The Voice Cloning Challenge is intended to encourage the development of approaches to prevent malicious voice cloning.
FTC Voice Cloning Challenge
Here is the timeline of events for the FTC Voice Cloning Challenge:
- Announced on November 16, 2023
- An online submission portal will be open from January 2–12, 2024.
- The Challenge closes on January 12, 2024, at 8:00 p.m. EST.
- Challenge results will be announced in early 2024.
- The FTC intends to announce the results within 90 days from the close date, April 11, 2024.
Challenge submissions should contain the following:
- A one-page written abstract summary,
- A detailed written explanation, which may be up to 10 pages, and
- An optional video may be included to describe how the submission would function.
Submissions will be judged on three criteria:
- Feasibility. How well might it work in practice and be administrable and feasible to execute?
- Responsibility and burden. Who implements the solution? What are the burdens?
- Resilience. How easily can the solution be adapted as technology advances?
Individuals and organizations with fewer than 10 people are eligible for the following cash prizes:
- First place, $25,000
- Second place, $4,000
- Up to three honorable mention prizes, $2,000 each.
Organizations with ten or more people are eligible for a recognition award (no cash prize).
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 25 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
TransNexus has a comprehensive suite of robocall mitigation solutions to prevent the origination of unlawful robocalls.Learn more