The evolution of SHAKEN implementation claims
STIR/SHAKEN implementation claims certified in the Robocall Mitigation Database (RMD) are evolving. This article reviews the trends.
Figure 1 shows the implementation percentages of new RMD filings in the U.S. by month. Complete SHAKEN claims peaked in November and have declined since then.
As complete SHAKEN claims have fallen, the no-SHAKEN claims have risen. Partial SHAKEN claims have hovered around 19%.
|Month||Complete SHAKEN||Partial SHAKEN||No SHAKEN|
Behind the data
What’s behind these numbers? Ordinarily, one might assume that the numbers rose as voice service providers implemented SHAKEN. Complete SHAKEN filings were at their lowest point in June, the month of the implementation deadline. Since then, they rose dramatically up to November. The ecosystem is growing.
That might be part of the explanation. However, another contributing factor is likely the number of providers that arranged for a downstream provider to sign their calls using the downstream provider’s STI certificate.
In February 2022, the FCC sent emails to these providers asking them to explain how they could have implemented SHAKEN if they apparently are not an authorized SHAKEN provider registered with the STI Policy Administrator.
There are other contributing factors in play that will pull these numbers in different directions:
- Some small providers have been changing their RMD filing from complete SHAKEN to no SHAKEN in response to the email from the FCC. This drives the number of complete SHAKEN filings downward.
- Non-facilities-based small providers must implement SHAKEN by June 30, 2022. This should drive complete SHAKEN upward as more small providers enter the SHAKEN ecosystem.
- Small facilities-based providers will implement SHAKEN in response to market forces. SHAKEN participation goes up.
- With the availability of non-IP SHAKEN methods, the FCC begins to phase out the non-IP SHAKEN exclusion. Participation goes up a lot.
How will the timing of these factors play against each other? We’re not sure, but it will be interesting to watch.
TransNexus is a leader in developing innovative software to manage and protect telecommunications networks. The company has over 20 years’ experience in providing telecom software solutions including toll fraud prevention, robocall mitigation and prevention, TDoS prevention, analytics, routing, billing support, STIR/SHAKEN and SHAKEN certificate services.
Contact us today to learn more.
This information will only be used to respond to your inquiry. TransNexus will not share your data with any third parties. We will retain your information for as long as needed to retain a record of your inquiry. For more information about how we use personal data, please see our privacy statement.
Our STIR/SHAKEN products:
- Work with your existing network
- Support SIP and TDM
- Affordable, easy to deploy