IP Internetworking Alliance
There is no shortage of new organizations focusing IP Interconnection standards. The latest organization to be formed is the IP Internetworking Alliance or IPIA. IPIA has been established by the GSMA to be the not for profit, governing body of the GSMA IPX. The IPIA mission statement is: " To provide an environment whereby stakeholders from mobile operators, fixed operators and carriers can agree to technical specifications and commercial templates for the IPX, which will facilitate the global interworking of IP services." The inaugural IPIA Board members are:
- FT Orange
- iBasis (KPN)
- Telecom Italia
The guiding principals for the IPIA are:
- Open to participation by all relevant stakeholders, i.e. those using and those providing IPX services
- Transparent and fair decision making processes
- Freedom for innovation and self determination in the development and implementation of IPX services
- Support for national, regional and international requirements, including compliance with relevant regulation
- The IPX Forum will not create standards, but will only define implementation guidelines for the use and implementation of existing standards.
The IPIA plans to begin accepting members in Q3 2008.