How to obtain access to numbering resources

This document describes the requirements that interconnected VoIP providers must obtain to qualify as a service provider according to the STI Policy Administrator guidelines.

These requirements only apply to service providers originating calls within the United States. We assume that service providers classified as an ILEC and/or CLEC already meet all the requirements and can register as a service provider with the STI Policy Administrator.

Service provider requirements for STI Policy Administrator

According to the Service Provider Guidelines listed on the STI Policy Administrator’s website, a service provider must meet the following requirements to obtain an STI certificate and sign calls:

  1. Have a current form 499A on file with the FCC
  2. Have been assigned an Operating Company Number (OCN)
  3. Have direct access to telephone numbers from the North American Number Plan Administrator (NANPA) and National Pooling Administrator (NPA)

Once a service provider has satisfied the requirements listed above, then the service provider can register as a Service Provider with the STI policy administrator here.

Steps to obtain access to numbering resources

To meet these requirements, an interconnected VoIP provider should ensure the following steps have been completed.

1. Obtain authorization from the FCC to directly obtain telephone numbers

Interconnected VoIP providers can apply to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to request authorization to obtain telephone numbers directly from the North American Numbering Plan Administrator and the Pooling Administrator, rather than through intermediaries. Information about how to file an application and filing requirements can be found here.

Your company must be able to directly acquire telephone numbers, but you are not required to port any of the telephone numbers your company currently uses.

2. Have a current Form 499-A on file with the FCC

Interconnected VoIP providers must file FCC Form 499-A registration with the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) here. The FCC Form 499-A serves to register the company with the FCC and USAC as a provider of U.S. domestic, interstate services. Your company will need to provide a copy of the complete form 499-A to the STI policy administrator during the registration process.

3. Obtain an OCN from NECA

To obtain numbering resources from the National Pooling Administrator, you must first obtain an OCN from NECA. An OCN (Operating Company Number) is a 4-character ID used to uniquely identify North American telecommunications service providers. OCN numbers are assigned by NECA and used to identify companies in the LERG and other resources. You can request an OCN here.

4. Obtain an RAO code from iconectiv

Revenue Accounting Office (RAO) codes are used for message routing, rating, revenue settlements, and NPANXX activation. You must have an OCN to obtain a RAO code. The RAO code is required when requesting a central office code from the National Pooling Administrator. You can learn more about RAO codes in the RAO Guidelines found on the Telecom Routing Administration’s website here.

5. Obtain an IAC code from iconectiv

Interexchange Access Customer (IAC) code is a three-character alphabetic code that represents the legal entity company name for a company requesting communications services. The IAC code is used to link all your OCNs, CLLI codes, and RAO codes together. IAC codes can be purchased here.

6. Obtain a SPID from NPAC

Service providers must have a Service Provider ID (SPID) and user agreement from the NPAC. You can register as an NPAC user here. Once the new user registration is completed, the service provider will be assigned a SPID.

7. Submit an NRUF to NANPA

A service provider must register as a new user within the NANPA NAS system and then file a Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecast (NRUF) report with NANPA before requesting number resources from the National Pooling Administrator. Instructions for creating and modifying an NRUF report are available on NANPA’s website under NRUF Resources here.

8. Submit code request to National Pooling Administrator

A service provider must register as a new user in the Pooling Administration System (PAS) and then submit a Code Request Form to request telephone numbers. Instructions for submitting a code request are available in the Pooling Administration System (PAS) User Guide for Service Providers (SPs) And Service Provider Consultants (SPCs) on the PAS website under Quick Start under the New to Pooling menu.

9. Enter codes into BIRRDS

Once a central office code (NXX) or a thousand-block (NXX-X) has been assigned, it is the responsibility of the service provider to ensure the codes, CLLI, and other details be entered into the inconectiv’s Business Integrated Routing & Rating Database System (BIRRDS). This data entry must be completed by an Administrative Operating Company Number (AOCN) which may be an in-house service or a third-party service. A list of AOCNs is available here.

10. Submit your codes to NPAC

As a registered NPAC user, your company must enter its codes into the NPAC Service Management System (SMS).

11. Confirm numbers are active in PAS

After receiving the new number resources, your company must confirm that the numbers are active by completing Part 4 of the Thousands Block Application Form in PAS.

How to obtain access to numbering resources