Location Routing Number

How to Get a Location Routing Number


▪ Browse the following websites for an overview of the administrative authorities that control and assign telephone numbers:
▪ www.nanpa.com – North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA)
▪ www.nationalpooling.com – National Number Pooling Administration (PA)
▪ www.npac.com – Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC)
▪ Read the Frequently Asked Questions located on the North American Numbering Plan (NANPA) website at www.nanpa.com/faq/sitefaq.html for information on central office code related topics such as the NANP Administration System (NAS) and central office code related forms.
▪ Read the Frequently Asked Questions located at www.nationalpooling.com under Tools, which provide answers to questions about the Pooling Administration System (PAS) and pooling related forms.
▪ Read the frequently asked questions located at: http://www.npac.com/customercenter/faq for information about Local Number Portability, becoming an NPAC user and getting a Service Provider ID (SPID).
▪ Review the Industry Numbering Committee (INC) guidelines: www.atis.org/inc/incguides.asp. ATIS defines the standards and solutions for North American telephone operations. The INC guidelines include:
▪ Central Office Code (NXX) Assignment Guidelines (COCAG)
▪ Thousands-Block Number (NXX-X) Pooling Administration Guidelines (TBPAG)
▪ Location Routing Number Assignment Practices

Step 1. Get an OCN from NECA
In order to request a Central Office (CO) code (NPA-NXX), your company must have an Operating Company Number (OCN). If your company does not have an OCN, contact the National Exchange Carrier Association (NECA) at www.neca.org to request a company code (OCN).

NECA defines a VoIP service provider as IPES (IP Enabled Services). IPES – A Service Provider deploying IP-enabled services, including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services, on a commercial basis to residential and business customers. Company Codes in this category shall be used to identify IP-enabled Service Providers interconnecting to the PSTN and can be used to enable the deployment of any new IP-enabled service, technology, or advanced service. VoIP is transmission of voice (such as ordinary telephone calls) using Internet Protocol.

An IPES must submit the following information to request an OCN.

  1. Legal documentation (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, State Registration, etc) as proof of existence and to reflect the telecommunications service provider’s legal name
  2. Proof of service and customers, e.g., interconnection agreements (or evidence of an interconnection order pursuant to an approved tariff).
  3. Contractual agreements with end-used customers or regulatory administration approval, if applicable. An OCN is requested with the online form: www.neca.org/PublicInterior.aspx?id=1947 . The fee to receive an OCN is $250.

Step 2. Become an NPAC User, obtain a SPID
To request a Central Office (CO) code (NPA-NXX), you also need a SPID (Service Provider ID) which is obtained from the Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC). Go to www.npac.com/the-npac/access/service-providers/new-user-registration for instructions on how to register with NPAC. Once you have registered with NPAC, your company will be given a SPID.

Step 3. Submit Number Utilization Forecast to NANPA
In order to request a central office code, you will need to have a current Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecast (NRUF) on file with NANPA. See the North American Numbering Plan Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecast Reporting (NRUF) Guidelines document on the ATIS website for more information. Go to www.nanpa.com/nruf/index.html for information on how to file an NRUF. You must be a registered NAS (NANP Administration System) user before you may submit a number utilization forecast. Read the NAS User Registration Guide for instructions: www.nanpa.com/tools/trainGuides/NAS_User_Registration_Guide.pdf.

Step 4. Certification and Proof of Facilities Readiness
When requesting an initial central office code, you must provide evidence of certification and proof of facilities readiness as documented in sections 4.2.1 and 4.2.1 of the Central Office Code (NXX) Assignment Guidelines (COCAG) found at www.atis.org/inc/incguides.asp. In addition, your code request may require state certification. A list showing certification requirements by state can be found at: www.nanpa.com/pdf/State_Certifications.pdf Certification and Proof of Facilities Readiness is required for the next step.

Step 5. Enter Code Request with National Number Pool Administration
Read the Pooling Administration System (PAS) User Guide for Service Providers and Service Provider Consultants located on the Pooling website at www.nationalpooling.com under Documents.

Watch the “How to Request an Initial Central Office Code” training video at: www.nanpa.com/tools/request_initial_CO_code.html To complete Part 1 of the PAS form, you will need a Common Language Location Identification (CLLI) code for your switch or Point of Interconnection (POI) to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). In addition, you will need to enter the CLLI of the homing tandem serving your POI. If your company is not a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC), you can partner with a CLEC or alternative tandem provider to provide the PSTN POI facilities on your behalf. This is what Vonage did for the “Interconnected VoIP Number Trial” trial ordered by the FCC on June 17, 2013. Enter your code request into the PAS.

Step 6. Enter your Code into the LERG
The LERG, or Local Exchange Routing Guide, is managed by iconectiv – a subsidiary of Ericsson. The iconectiv group that manages the LERG is still referred to as Telcordia, the company’s name before it was acquired by Ericsson. Once your central office code has been assigned, the code, LRN, CLLI and other details must be entered into the TelcordiaTM Business Routing & Rating Database System (BIRRDS). Your company’s data can only be submitted to BIRRDS by an firm that has been issued an Administrative Operating Company Number (AOCN) by iconectiv. Your company can go through the process to get an AOCN or hire the services of a third party that has an AOCN. To find a list of AOCNs go to www.trainfo.com/products_services/tra/downloads/aocnlist.doc.

Step 7. Submit your code (LRN) to NPAC
As a registered NPAC user, enter your LRN into the NPAC Service Management System (SMS).

Step 8. Confirm Code is active in PAS
Within six months after receiving the code, confirm the code has been fully tested and is active by completing Part 4 of the Thousands Block Application Form in PAS. Only the active 1000 thousand blocks should be confirmed so the Pooling Administrator can reassign the unused 1000 blocks.